Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shadows of the Dragon Forum Index -> FFXIV Guild Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xzen*
Dragon Knight

re: Useful info for new players

Here is a list of things I wished someone had told me, when I first started playing the game, and might be of help to new players. Feel free to post more tips and I will add them to the list.

1/ You don't need to do all of the side quests. There is plenty of XP available from the Main story quest to get most of your levels, you might just need to fill in the odd level here and there with dungeons/fates/levequests, but best to leave most of the side quests to help you level any future alternative classes. Side quests are standard gold colored quest icons, with no fancy bits around the edge.

2/ Do all quests you see with a blue quest icon with a + by the side. These will unlock all manner of things from dyeing equipment to opening up dungeons and raids. As you progress through the game, more blue+ quests will open up to you, so always keep an eye open for them. The only ones you might want to ignore, are the ones that say "So, you want to be a........" as they open up different adventure/crafting/gathering classes. Only take them if you want them.

3/ Follow the main story quest - gold icons with fancy bits around the edge. Most of the dungeons, mounts, equipment and game content is only opened up through following the main story, so that's a must do. Also don't forget to do your class quests. They are available every 5 levels, do head back to your class trainers every time you hit 5, 10, 15 etc. You can get some cool gear, decent XP and story through these.

So, to clarify: Do Main Story quests, Class quests and blue+ quests as a priority.

4/ When doing dungeons, there are some pretty cool youtube videos out there to help you out, and only last 2-3mins or so. Well worth checking out for some of the later dungeons. You'll find that alot of the mechanics in dungeon boss fights are similar in different dungeons. For example, if you get a gold flashing icon above your head in one dungeon, it'll probably do a similar thing if you got it in another dungeon. Keep an eye out for the stack-up icon, or the chains linking 2 players, they are quite common. Of course most of the fights have their own unique mechanics too :)

5/ Challenge log - this resets weekly and gives you whacking great XP bonuses for doing various activities so when you get access to this keep it in mind if you are needing to level up. The challenge log will get unlocked during the main story quest.

dungeons : When doing a dungeon for the first time, mention in chat that you are doing it for the first time. High level players will rush through a low level dungeon since it is very easy with maxed out gear.  If they know you are new, they will probably go slower and be more forgiving if you mess up.  They won't really mind since they get extra rewards when playing together with a new player who completes a dungeon for the first time.

Classquest : when above level 50, classquests are every 2 levels instead of every 5.  Don't forget to do them.

Selling items : You can sell items on the market using Retainers (will unlock with main story), it's a great way to make some extra Gil. Don't forget to pick up your money after a sale ...*looks at Mac*, really don't forget that....

Macc Edit: Yes, I didn't realize I had to get my cash back from the retainer. I had nearly 2mil gil sitting there.

Glamours : Don't like the look of your gear.  Good news, you can change it using Glamours (blue+ quest to unlock) *looks at Karofin* you don't have to look like a homeless guy if you don't want to.

As always if anyone needs any help with anything, just shout up in guild chat and we will happily assist.

Eat food every 2 hours (raisins are very cheep) - you get  a 3% exp bonus. It may not sound much but it adds up

Always log out in a safe spot (there will be a moon symbol next to your exp bar). This will give you a rested exp boost.

Before you enter your first dungeon the is a building near by called "The Hall of the Novice" which is great basic training for your class role in groups and will rerward you with role decent gear.

Can't think of anymore now, but please post your tips here, and I'll add them to the list. Please also tell me if I'm talking rubbish about anything here, and needs changing image

Macc

Last edited by Xzen* on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 am; edited 3 times in total

Kendric1
Dragon Shadow

Thanks alot mate

oxolotl
Dragon Knight

Challenge log - this resets weekly and gives you whacking great XP bonuses for doing various activities so when you get access to this keep it in mind if you are needing to level up.

- dungeons : When doing a dungeon for the first time, mention in chat that you are doing it for the first time. High level players will rush through a low level dungeon since it is very easy with maxed out gear.  If they know you are new, they will probably go slower and be more forgiving if you mess up.  They won't really mind since they get extra rewards when playing together with a new player who completes a dungeon for the first time.

Classquest : when above level 50, classquests are every 2 levels instead of every 5.  Don't forget to do them.

Selling items : You can sell items on the market using Retainers (will unlock with main story), it's a great way to make some extra Gil. Don't forget to pick up your money after a sale ...*looks at Mac*, really don't forget that....

Glamours : Don't like the look of your gear.  Good news, you can change it using Glamours (blue+ quest to unlock) *looks at Karofin* you don't have to look like a homeless guy if you don't want to.

Xaraphiel
Dragon Shadow

Looks good - here are my aditions :P

Eat food every 2 hours (raisins are very cheep) - you get  a 3% exp bonus. It may not sound much but it adds up

Always log out in a safe spot (there will be a moon symbol next to your exp bar). This will give you a rested exp boost.

Before you enter your first dungeon the is a building near by called "The Hall of the Novice" which is great basic training for your class role in groups and will rerward you with role decent gear.

Lvl70 Dark Knight (Tank)

I am the Carbuncle Knight

Karofin-
Dragon High Council

Few things in there I still didn't know so great.  I will keep this to one tip as it will allow the rest of the game to open up.  Nothing additional to above just adds some context and some regret.

Don't do any quests at all other than the Main story quest, your class quests and anythnig else you see with the Blue Icon and + sign on it.  This has been said before but this is why....  I did other side quests and ended up being lvl 30, on lvl 15-20 quests and it made it feel like a right grind.  At this rate I will be lvl 70 and probably just starting the 1st of 2 full expansions. 

- Main story, unlocks features.  You will do Dungeons anyway.  When you get challenge log unlocked you get a massive XP for completing 5 in a week and many other things.  You will get a mount, ability to do more of the game, the list goes on.

- Class quest gives you new spells.  If you didn't do the class quest between level 1 and 70, you would be lvl 70 with the same 2 spealls you start with.

Anything else can be circled back to and most critically in this game, you can do any additional class too from lvl 1 so a lvl 70 fully geared healer can also decide to train as a lvl 1 tank and be both classes, in fact all classes.  You will need quests to do at that point and that's when the lower level ones are useful.  I didn't follow this right away (despite Xara trying to tell me many times for my own good - its just hard to pass a quest icon lol) and regretted it hugely.

- Any Blue + = Always unlocks something.  Pick them up and do the ones you want, leaving others til later.  EG you might want to unlock Glamour as mentioned above but might have no interest yet in Materia molding.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shadows of the Dragon Forum Index -> FFXIV Guild Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: