Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shadows of the Dragon Forum Index -> Pantheon General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karofin-
Dragon High Council

re: 2014 Brad McQuaid Interview

45 mins very well spent.  Very engaging glimpse.

Interview with Brad McQuaid from 2014 when the Kickstarter campaign was in full flight.  Gives an early glimpse (for me) into what he was looking for and looking to create.  hearing the guy talk I know I want to play the game.  I remember chats like this from vanguard at the time and honestly thing Vanguard today would be the most popular serious MMO on the planet if they had managed to get funding to complete and polish it.  I loved Vanguard and the passion from it.  If Pantheon can deliver what Vanguard only just fell short of, we will be lucky players. 

Bit of an odd guy interviewing him but I think that leans to the authenticity that is Brad McQuaid.  He isnt a good businessman and for Pantheon has handed over the business lead to others (recognizing his failures from Vaguard) but he knows what would make a great MMO.

The_Horrid
Dragon Shadow

fan gurl much?

re: Re: 2014 Brad McQuaid Interview

Karofin- wrote:

I loved Vanguard and the passion from it. 

We all know why you loved Vanguard.:-

It was the throne with the heart shape cushions that was made for it.......come on admit it we know the truth !!! 

I would most likely still be playing VG today as well if it was still running,it had a nice balance for all types of players which I hope carry's over into Pantheon otherwise I can see the easymode players making it another wow clone,wish those players would just stick with mmo's they like instead of trying to change new ones to be like them. 

Time will tell what road it's going to go down I guess,just have to keep my fingers crossed it's not the way most have gone down and for me this will be my last attempt to find a mmo that I really love ,Black Desert and FFXIV ARR came very close but major parts of the game turned me away,If this goes pear shaped I will stick with single player games and kiss goodbye to sub/f2p mmo's.

DE

No ammount of words can describe the pain in my heart
Badem_Jax
Dragon Shadow

I loved VG, but by todays standards it was getting dated and had minimal support (RIP Silas and the others)

With the improved concepts of VG in this game, this is one I am tempted to buy at launch

Dragonèyes
Dragon Shadow

I don't mind how dated a game is if I enjoy it,the problem  with VG was it was rushed at the end due to financial issues and SOE came along..If EQ2 was still the same style of play as it was between 2004 -2007 I would still be playing that even under Daybreak ownership.

It's a pity I went from FFXI to EQ2 instead of going to Everquest as I may still be playing that,but for the love of me I can not revert back to that type of commands,play style,mechanics after playing EQ2 for so long and other mmo's that use the same mechanics lol.

Badem_Jax
Dragon Shadow

I went from VG to FFXIV ARR - then to ARR V2 and now ARR- HW so I went through two sets of games with great potential, the only difference was FFXIV got the support it needed.

Hopefully Pantheon will, and from what I have seen so far, looks amazing, hope they also revamp Loot, I would love a SWTOR kind of Loot system (get Visual item piece and then customise the parts to get the stats)

Dragonèyes
Dragon Shadow

Donno about the mod-able armour to me that would open the door for lazy devs just adding dailies to grind the item that's needed to buy the mods and for me that's just an excuse to give a cheap way of extending the game,SWTOR KOTFE is a prime example of this when you have to grind crates for the alliance,with the ammount of players doing the same heroics it becomes over crowded and frustrating which isn't enjoying the game. 

I would love to see it revert back to crafting armour up to entry level raids then in the raids you either get armour drops or tokens to buy the armour parts but again this is done in raids like it used to be in EQ2 and then progress through the raids as and when you have the gear level.

I doubt it would happen tbh as getting the armour and crafting mats takes time .

Yeah FFXIV v1 was really nice maybe a bit to hard for the player base it was aiming at but they did a dam good job when they released ARR,my only issue was having to get certain lvl of gear to carry on the story to rescue Minfilia and that was only got via raiding i think or major daily grind feast,which made zero sense to me lol. Other than that loved the game

:)

Karofin-
Dragon High Council

They keep saying everythign will be player crafted.  There won't be any armour sets that you just do dailies in the same vein and then pick a piece from a vendor.  I am sure there will be dailies, but in a Sandbox, and I am thinking of SWG here, they were a very different beast. Crafting that armour is a big thing.

An example of SWG is that there was a lot of interest when new resources spawned as truly epic resources spawned once every 6 months so when they did, the whole server went into gathering mode for a month.  Its that immersion and how a simple thing like resource can change the scape of a game for weeks out of nowhere that also appeals to me.

Dragonèyes
Dragon Shadow

Karofin- wrote:

They keep saying everythign will be player crafted.  There won't be any armour sets that you just do dailies in the same vein and then pick a piece from a vendor.  I am sure there will be dailies, but in a Sandbox, and I am thinking of SWG here, they were a very different beast. Crafting that armour is a big thing.

An example of SWG is that there was a lot of interest when new resources spawned as truly epic resources spawned once every 6 months so when they did, the whole server went into gathering mode for a month.  Its that immersion and how a simple thing like resource can change the scape of a game for weeks out of nowhere that also appeals to me.

God..I hope your right in that area Karo and they stick to it,am just worried they may cave in to peer pressure if they don't get the amount of players they hoped for due to it being to time consuming,as players today just want to rush to endgame.

Players like you and me and few others who are vets from old mmo's don't mind but for mmo's to survive they need new blood and those are so used to how things are today it may turn them away,unless they can cater for both styles of game play but that's a very very tight line to achieve without upsetting the apple cart for both sets of players lol.

lets keep our fingers crossed and other things to lol

DE

Karofin-
Dragon High Council

Yeah exactly mate.  I liked a comment they made in one of the interviews I saw a while back.  "you may find out that that there are some legendary weapons in the world and rush to get them.  If the 1st 10 players to get them are the only ones ever allowed to have them in the life of the game, have we done right or wrong".  personally I think right.  I will never own one of those weapons as I wont ever be in a top end game guild, but UI will enjoy that game a lot more.

They also said all content will need a group.  There will be no soloing as it just wont be possible outside of the overworld mobs that are just part of the world.  They won't give you any good drops and help you in any real way.  To do absolutely anything worthwhile you will need a group.

There will be players selling items and unless you are in that region you wont know, as trade has a range and if you aren't in thsi "shout" range then you dont see the trade.  There will be no full worldwide chat planned.  You will travel to meet and speak to folks.

Of course we have to wait and see but the more I hear of this, the more I like it.  now as you said, they just have to weather the whines from the masses initially and let it all settle.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shadows of the Dragon Forum Index -> Pantheon General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: